Friday, March 31, 2006

His parents' objections

Just wana add on to my previous post on what other things his parents said, showing their subtle objections. Took me some time to get over the shock...

Before my bf told me to go for matchmaking in S'pore, his dad told me already in a 4-person talk, he & his parents & me. It's as if I'm there to discuss marriage & make their precious son leave for S'pore with me!

As mentioned previously, they said things like i'll be lonely etc etc.... then they added on that standing from the viewpoint of MY parents, they understand that my parents would surely want me to marry a fellow S'porean instead because we're in the same country, same culture etc. So they said during the next 3 - 4 yrs while my bf is studying, if my parents arrange matchmaking sessions/arrange marriage for me in S'pore, they & their son will be understanding. "You can always come back here for holidays. We'll welcome you... because you're cute... "

I didn't know how to react to it. If i'm being sensitive & read in between lines, i take it as their subtle objections to us being together. Otherwise I take it as they're trying to be understanding towards my parents & I.

Throughout the talk, my bf & his mum kept quiet. It's so typical of a traditional family where only the father talks. After that he ended the talk, saying sometimes really fated in life on whom we'll meet...

Post-talk... my bf didn't add on anything when we're alone... until 2 days later, of which u can read what he said in my previous post. I'm pretty sure now he's on my side, no longer influenced by his parents for now....

No comments: