Saturday, May 07, 2011

Worst job choice ever?

Look at my last post 2 months ago ~ I was so happy! Unfortunately soon after that I nosedived into hell. Beyond the 18th level of hell, as my colleagues say it. When I started complaining to my jie-meis, they jokingly asked when I plan to quit. Seems like it has become a cycle which I can't get out of.

So what went wrong this round?

Jobscope deviated greatly from what was mentioned during the interview. Or rather, the jobscope mentioned during interview was only 1/3 of the jobscope of 1 staff I'm replacing. In reality, my jobscope was for 4 replacements and I didn't like any of their scope.

After the senior who handed over to me left, I was bombed everyday with all kinds of shit work. I was so stressed I woke up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I dreamt of work or colleagues. I spoke to my useless boss on the workload and he said will get a replacement, but it was all NATO on his part.

My health started to suffer. Headaches were almost a daily affair. I felt physically & mentally exhausted everyday. I began to dread going to work.

During interview the boss told me the staff seldom work beyond 6pm. Saturdays are off. I guess that was the culture BEFORE he joined. Coz apparently he doesn't like it when staff leave on time and enjoy long lunches. So he reshuffled their jobscope to overload them into doing overtime. Soon my 6pm extended to 6.45pm everyday. Saturdays became 6 hr work day.

When I realised he wasn't actively recruiting someone to share my load, I decided that I've had enough and verbally told my new manager my intention to go. Nevermind the penalty I've to pay the recruitment agency. Forget about my bad work history. Finances will suffer but I can cut down on shopping and restaurants.

The new manager tried to keep me. She promised to push the useless boss to hire someone in. But I didn't see results after 2 weeks. No interviews arranged. He just conveniently hired someone w/o relevant experience just because she was referred by a current staff. And yet he always complain to me about other dept who bring in their friends or relatives. He's no different from them! So I tendered officially but the manager promised me things will change, she'll take away the portfolio which I hated. But nothing happened coz there was no replacement to take on the job.

So I tendered the third time in a month, and this round it's for real. I'm relieved it'll be over soon but I'm still busy. I still bring work home to clear on weekends. I'm not sure if they can get someone in on time but I'm definitely not going to stay beyond my notice period.

On reflection, I should have trusted my gut feelings and not taken up this job in the first place. Firstly, it's not an MNC. I told myself I'll never join a local company after my unpleasant previous jobs in 2 local firms but I took this up because of its attractive renumeration package. Secondly, when 9 out of 13 staff mass resign, it signals something is seriously wrong with either the company, dept or the boss. I thot they weren't comfortable with the way the new boss runs the dept. Now I know why ~ the boss SUCKS big time. Indecisive, calculative, petty, ultra instant memory, fickle-minded, stirs up politics, no sense of direction, blur, stubborn, and the list goes on. In short, the worse Head of Dept I've ever worked for.

The only consolation is the great colleagues I have. They are always there for me, always ever so helpful and caring. I'm going to miss them a lot. They are the reason why I can survive till now.

I'm not sure where I'm heading after this. Maybe HR isn't for me after all. Or I'm not suited for the corporate world. Maybe I should take a break and seriously think about what I want to do next instead of jumping into another job.

No comments: