Friday, August 31, 2012

Woes of a cow


Much has been said about the benefits of breastfeeding but almost nothing about the difficulties of it. Lactation consultants, books and websites all state there’s no such thing as “No Milk”. As long as you nurse/pump regularly, milk will be produced. “Demand equals supply” they always say. “The more you nurse/pump, the more milk will be produced to meet that demand” they claimed. Even if one hasn’t studied Economics, it’s common knowledge that supply doesn’t always meet demand. Nor does demand always meet supply.
During baby’s 1st week, she hardly peed or poo. The confinement lady was worried and asked me to pump out my milk to see how much baby is drinking. I only had 30ml. She said it’s probably isn’t enough and I should supplement each nursing session with formula milk first while waiting for higher supply to kick in. The first time baby had formula milk after I nursed her, she passed out black poo (Meconium). By right she should have cleared the black poo by 3rd day of birth, but that was on Day 6!

I belong to the low supply group. No matter how often I nurse or what I eat, I could not seem to meet her milk demands. It caused much unhappiness for us. I was often frustrated and tired with the hourly nursing schedule while my baby wasn’t full enough to take a nap after nursing. I was almost glued to the sofa as I nurse for 30-40mins, rest 20-30mins and baby cries for milk again. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I gave her formula milk after nursing. The first time I did it, my baby gobbled down the whole bottle hungrily, gave a satisfied look and dozed off for a long nap. It broke my heart. My insistence on total breastfeeding had starved my baby instead. I thought maybe I should just go on full formula milk. Didn’t we all grow up on formula milk anyway? I told my friend about my difficulties and intention to stop, but encouraged by her words, I decided to carry on for 3 months.
Everyday I looked forward to the end of 3 months. When 3rd month was close, I thought maybe I can extend for another month. And maybe another month. Before I realized it, I had breastfed for 6 months. I was probably used to the nursing routine and enjoyed the special bonding between baby and me, that’s why I could carry on. However at 6th month, I decided it’s time to stop. No more extension. I was feeling very tired and falling sick often. That made me easily irritable and I had no mood to interact with baby. All day I just think of making her take naps so that I too, can take a nap.

It has been 3 months since I stopped. I do miss that special bonding but I’m still bonding with my girl over toys, songs and lots of hugs. Although she suffers constipation more often now (due to formula milk & semi-solids), she’s otherwise very strong and healthy. I do not regret my decision nor feel too bad about stopping whereas other mums can do so up to 1 year old or older. They are efficient cows, I’m not. So why compare and make myself miserable?

No comments: