Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Monthly updates - Work

No updates for exactly a month! Not that I've been busy.... I'm just l-a-z-y....

It's been a short but eventful month. There was a 2-day dept team-building event @Sentosa in early Feb. We played a few games to foster team spirit. Don't remember what we played. Not too memorable. I had an exam the next day, so didn't stay for the 2nd day which I heard was much more boring than Day 1. Phew! I escaped that! hehehehe

Haiz, actually I feel there isn't a need to spend a bomb to engage in such team-building event. Yes, we'll feel more like team & foster better relations but that'll probably last for that few days. Once we're back at work, it'll all be gone. Frustration levels escalate & tempers flare when things go wrong. Who'd care about team spirit at this time?

As of last week, I'm back to my usual boring job after they recruited someone more senior in. Quite sad to hand-over everything else coz during the 2 mths I held this portfolio, I learnt a lot & managed to build a rapport with some of the managers. Anyway, looking on the bright side, I should be glad that I'm paid quite a lot to do dumb stuff. It's no secret that I'm looking out for better opportunities! Unfortunately no luck so far....

Remember I said I had an exam? It's the practicum for my Cert in TEFL course. I had to teach a class of 3 foreign students any topic (as long as it's on English). It'd seem more appropriate to teach grammer / vocab since it's an English class we're talking about, but i chose to teach directions. It's one of the most interesting lessons I had when I was learning Japanese, so I felt it'll be fun for english students too. It's also easy to teach in terms of just explaining "turn left, turn right, go straight". The challenge was in preparing the worksheets & getting the students interested in the map reading game. I was lucky that the students were sporting & participated. Of course I was nervous! Not only were there 3 students, my lecturer was there with the invigilator, 2 observers & my 2 classmates. Imagine having 6 pairs of eyes looking at how u manage a small class of 3! Not sure how I fared for it......still waiting for results...

My bf's cousin who runs 2 English language schools in Japan called me recently to discuss a teaching vacancy she had in her school. I was so excited! Finally I have a chance to teach!! Sad to say, seems like my lack of experience working with young children & teaching English dashed the chances.... So now I'm still looking out & applying for part-time teaching jobs in S'pore instead. If not I'll just keep my teaching cert for use when I settle down in Japan (^-^)

No comments: