Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Valentine's Day ~ Attached but Alone

After being single for donkey years, I can finally celebrate this commercially-driven special day with my special other half........ in my dreams! Haiz...we're so far away from each other *sob sob*

Anyway we celebrated it the Japanese way --> sending him chocolates. Did you know that in Japan the female will give choco to the guys on V-day? For male colleagues/classmates the gals will buy normal off-the-shelf choco. It's given out of obligation so it's called "Gi-ri choco".

If it's for a special guy, it's home-made choco. Many use it to confess their feelings. The weeks leading up to V-day, departmental stores will sell the utensils/ingredients to make choco & one will see groups of girls shopping for gifts there. So what do the guys do? Eat & grow FAT!! hehehehe

One month later on "White Day" the guy is supposed to give the gal gift 3x the value of what he received from her during V-day. If he doesn't reciprocate her feelings, I'm not sure if he still has to give her anything. And do guys have to give gifts out of obligation too? hmm... not sure too....

Since my dear is a Japanese, it makes more sense to celebrate it the Japanese way, right? (^-^) So I sent him a bar of chocolate. It wasn't normal choco hor!! I spent the whole afternoon in Orchard searching for the perfect one. He doesn't sweet choco. So those with liquor was top on my list but no stock. Next was white choco coz he likes white choco. But most white choco came in boring cheapo packaging. I finally found the perfect one at The Cocoa Tree at Paragon. White choco with coffee (he's a coffee lover) in classy packaging. And it's light too (remember postage to Japan isn't cheap!!). Quite an expensive thin family bar of choco at S$12 but good choco dun come cheap so it's worth it, esp since it's for him (^-^)(^o^) Of course he's happy. He HAS to be 'else I'd blow my top!! That pig apparently finished the whole bar with his parents in a day. HAhaha...

Okay, how did I spend my actual V-day? I wanted to go aerobics. Then a male colleague asked me out for dinner. I was a little taken aback coz I hardly know him. Rejected him initially but later in the evening agreed when he said there were a few others joining. We went for dinner at the 居酒屋 I was talking about in my previous entry. We ate & drank a lot & talked lots of nonsense too. After that we went for some more drinks at a pub. Quite an interesting V-day where I didn't feel lovesick...

No comments: