4 Aug (Saturday) - Sendai
Sendai has an interesting mix of city, historical, religious and nature sights. I was lucky to have a friend who sacrificed his Saturday and brought me around to various spots which I wouldn't have been able to cover on my own in a day. He's my internet penpal of 2 yrs whom I've never met. My instincts told me he's a decent fellow. Thank goodness I was right. He could speak good English so my brain didn't have to work too hard. Heehee...
We first went to Aobajo Castle for a view of the city. After that we went to Shiogama where he brought me to a fish port where I saw fresh whale meat for the first time. Lunch was sushi around the area. It's the best sushi I've ever tried. As the restaurants near the fishing port, the fish is so fresh, it melts in your mouth! A bit pai-seh to take photos though. If you see it, you'll drool!!
Next he brought me to Shiogama Shrine. I learnt the proper way of praying at a shrine (but forgotten liao) and he gave me a talisman. It's quite interesting. The talisman is a white envelop with a clear packet of whitish powder inside. Having heard some real-life eerie encounters in Japan's hotels, I hugged this talisman + the one from Kwan Yin temple to sleep every night during this trip!
We went to the famous Matsushima & boarded a ferry to view the islets. It was fun to see people feeding the seagulls with prawn crackers. I was too timid to do so, afraid that the seagulls would attack me. After that we ate fishcake which we BBQ ourselves. Not a wise choice considering the hot humid weather, but it's a specialty in that area so had try it!

Our last stop was at Akiu Otaki Falls, one of the 3 great waterfalls in Japan. Breathtaking view!
After checking in at hotel, we went for dinner together. Ate the famous cold ramen with sesame sauce. Yummy! I love ramen, cold or hot. Reminds me of those days I packed cold ramen to school in Okazaki for lunch.
As I had to leave early the next morning & there's no coin laundry in the hotel, I walked to the nearest coin laundry on my own. It was late & the roads were quiet and the laundry place was located in such a quiet corner, I almost missed it. My first night alone in a hotel was bad. I was very scared even though I slept with my lights on. Didn't sleep well and woke up a few times at night. Finally I gave up, woke up at 6am & set off early.
5 Aug (Sunday) - Morioka
Back to lonely days but I enjoy it. Today's a full day out to Ryusendo Caves from Morioka. Duno why I'm so fascinated by the caves, just based on guidebooks. I took a 2hr bus trip there & another 2hrs back just to see the caves. Madness. I don't regret the trip there. I like the mysterious feel of the cave. It's cold & wet & a little creepy at times. Having to climb up steep narrow steps for better views were a killer though.
There was this crazy mum with a baby on her baby backpack. She wore pointed heels there! Almost every step she made on the stairs, she went "scary....." & some other sounds to show she's scared & worried. Her hubby was following behind agreeing with all her scared expressions. Idiots! Should've known better to go to such places in heels! And shouldn't the stupid father carry the baby instead? Higher chance of vainpots falling down the stairs as compared to men in proper shoes leh.
Back at Morioka, I tried the famous "Rei-men". It apparently originated from Korean. Cold, crunchy noodles in sour & spicy soup. What surprised me was a slice of watermelon in that bowl of noodles. I was like "huh? Are they serving dessert together with mains in a bowl?" It tasted alright. I like the noodles' texture but not the soup. A little too spicy for my liking.
Maybe I was tired. Slept well that night.....
We first went to Aobajo Castle for a view of the city. After that we went to Shiogama where he brought me to a fish port where I saw fresh whale meat for the first time. Lunch was sushi around the area. It's the best sushi I've ever tried. As the restaurants near the fishing port, the fish is so fresh, it melts in your mouth! A bit pai-seh to take photos though. If you see it, you'll drool!!
Next he brought me to Shiogama Shrine. I learnt the proper way of praying at a shrine (but forgotten liao) and he gave me a talisman. It's quite interesting. The talisman is a white envelop with a clear packet of whitish powder inside. Having heard some real-life eerie encounters in Japan's hotels, I hugged this talisman + the one from Kwan Yin temple to sleep every night during this trip!
We went to the famous Matsushima & boarded a ferry to view the islets. It was fun to see people feeding the seagulls with prawn crackers. I was too timid to do so, afraid that the seagulls would attack me. After that we ate fishcake which we BBQ ourselves. Not a wise choice considering the hot humid weather, but it's a specialty in that area so had try it!

Our last stop was at Akiu Otaki Falls, one of the 3 great waterfalls in Japan. Breathtaking view!
After checking in at hotel, we went for dinner together. Ate the famous cold ramen with sesame sauce. Yummy! I love ramen, cold or hot. Reminds me of those days I packed cold ramen to school in Okazaki for lunch.
As I had to leave early the next morning & there's no coin laundry in the hotel, I walked to the nearest coin laundry on my own. It was late & the roads were quiet and the laundry place was located in such a quiet corner, I almost missed it. My first night alone in a hotel was bad. I was very scared even though I slept with my lights on. Didn't sleep well and woke up a few times at night. Finally I gave up, woke up at 6am & set off early.
5 Aug (Sunday) - Morioka
Back to lonely days but I enjoy it. Today's a full day out to Ryusendo Caves from Morioka. Duno why I'm so fascinated by the caves, just based on guidebooks. I took a 2hr bus trip there & another 2hrs back just to see the caves. Madness. I don't regret the trip there. I like the mysterious feel of the cave. It's cold & wet & a little creepy at times. Having to climb up steep narrow steps for better views were a killer though.
There was this crazy mum with a baby on her baby backpack. She wore pointed heels there! Almost every step she made on the stairs, she went "scary....." & some other sounds to show she's scared & worried. Her hubby was following behind agreeing with all her scared expressions. Idiots! Should've known better to go to such places in heels! And shouldn't the stupid father carry the baby instead? Higher chance of vainpots falling down the stairs as compared to men in proper shoes leh.
Back at Morioka, I tried the famous "Rei-men". It apparently originated from Korean. Cold, crunchy noodles in sour & spicy soup. What surprised me was a slice of watermelon in that bowl of noodles. I was like "huh? Are they serving dessert together with mains in a bowl?" It tasted alright. I like the noodles' texture but not the soup. A little too spicy for my liking.
Maybe I was tired. Slept well that night.....

No comments:
Post a Comment