Thursday, July 09, 2009

Eerie workplace

The 1st month I joined the company, I had an eerie experience at work and I blamed the "dirty stuff" for causing my high fever during my 1st week of work and subsequent poor health over the next 2 months.

My office is a small room for 3 and arrangement was such that I can see 1 colleague (A) who's seated beside me. The other colleague (B) is beside (A) but blocked by a partition, so i have to stand up to talk to (B). One afternoon, (A) wasn't not in the office. I heard the sound of chair moving and keyboard typing , so I assumed (B) was around and asked her some stuff. However there were no replies though the sound of typing went on. So I stood up to talk as I thought she couldn't hear me. No one was there. Sound stopped too. Strange.....

I sat down and continued doing my work and the sounds started again. I kept psychoing myself it's the air-con blowing her seat until my colleagues came back. This happened often when I'm alone until I placed a japanese charm taken from a shrine in Japan and always play my mp3 loudly in the office.

When I asked (A) about it, she told me she had experienced it as well and heard of many other eerie tales too. One was the sound of franking machine in use at 8pm+ at night and when the colleague went to check on who's using it, the sound stopped. There're a few sighting reports as well. The latest was a new staff started feeling giddy the moment she stepped into the department's office and vomitted a few times after she got home. There was another account about someone hearing papers and things being moved and many voices talking at night and it all stopped when the security switched on the lights. There were a few more tales that freaked me out.

After my 2 colleagues left and 2 new ones came onboard, there are fewer eerie incidents in our room though today i still heard a little of things moving. We have a small cross at 1 workstation, 1 drop of holy water at another workstation, 1 japanese charm and 1 chinese charm at my workstation. Maybe these are taking effect and blessing us, I don't know. Or maybe it's my loud music drowning out the sounds. And my health improved too.

Today during lunch, one colleague casually remarked that probably bones will be dug out during the construction next to our workplace. "Bones?" "Ya, bones. This whole area used to be an old Chinese cemetery wat!" "ah...no wonder... that explains all the eerie tales!"

And so just now I googled about the area of my workplace and confirmed it. It was a cemetery until the 1960s when it was exhumed to make place for development.

7th month is coming in mid-August. I better pray more and arm myself with more blessed items!

1 comment: