End July to mid-August has been a crazy time for me at work. The big boss suddenly wanted to do a community service project within a week and appointed my boss to be the project manager. That was a big mistake coz my boss conveniently mobilized the whole department to run the show for her. With just the 3 of us in the department & a very tight deadline, we spent all our official working hours on the project, leaving little time for our usual work until after 6pm. We did OT almost everyday for 2 weeks and hated the thought of community project.
This is probably the only community service I've ever done with such an unwilling heart. Why go so far to help the poor when there are many poor families right at our doorstep who needs our help? The answer is simple: politics. The bosses weren't even around at the 1st session of the project to meet the poor. They only turned up at the 2nd session to give out gifts coz there was media coverage. That really disappointed me. From the project we could also see the ugly side of our otherwise nice boss and the even uglier side of the bigger bosses. I've lost all respect I had for them.
August is also the month of my confirmation appraisal. My assistant manager appraised me and passed it to my senior manager for 2nd appraisal. While they have been truthful and fair to me, some of their comments upset me so much I approached my senior manager to defend myself. I requested for early release from my bond but she refused, so I told her I'll leave after a year. 1 week later she showed me the revised appraisal comments which reflects more accurately my strengths & weaknesses. However somehow the damage has been done. I keep my distance from the 2 of them now.
I received my confirmation last week. Although the increment isn't high, at least it gives me a chance to ask for better starting pay in future. These days I've lost the zest at work. I do what I am required and nothing much beyond my call of duty. Before this I had worked hard but it wasn't recognized, so why should I continue working hard now? With about 7 months left in my bond, I couldn't be bothered too much anyway...
Did I mention the company made all of us undergo a 2 hrs English Proficiency test recently? I wonder if our GCE 'O' & 'A' level English grades are recognized. The irony is MOE didn't make me undergo any English test and I was a trainee English teacher in a secondary school. Are we all here to teach or what?
No comments:
Post a Comment