Monday, April 19, 2010

Birthday celebration

I realise that as I grow older, my birthday celebrations become simpler. In the past it used to be celebrated with colleagues in the office, close friends at restaurants, family at home. This year as I'm unemployed, there were no colleagues. But ex-colleagues and friends still remembered and sent me sms. I'm happy that I've not been forgotten and appreciate their gesture. Don't underestimate the joy a simple sms or msg on FB can bring!

As for family, the main person-in-charge, my sister, was overseas, so the celebration was almost forgotten till my mum asked about it during dinner on the actual day. So my brother went to get a cake after dinner for a last minute celebration. As it was late and the nearest Awfully Choco outlet has closed, he went all the way to Vivocity to buy. Very sweet of him & his gf to make the effort.

Yummy choco cake from Awfully Chocolate

My sister sent me a global sms and later returned with lovely gifts - an apron (when i have my own kitchen in future) and a small longchamp bag. I'm amused that although I'm not a branded person, I tend to receive branded stuff, thanks to family & friends who like it. Haha! My b'day longchamp bag, x'mas CheChe bag & Coach purse from friend's US trip are still unused. Maybe it's time for me to clear my cheap & old kawaii bags to make way for the new bags. I also have to clear out my old cosmetics as my friends had given me a new set of blush & eye-shadows from my favorite brand - Maquillage (Shiseido). Happy!! New "year" new start new stuff!

The highlight of my birthday is celebrating with my other half. He brought me to Batam for a short getaway on the weekend of my birthday. Last year we had celebrated it in Batam at Harris Resort. This year we went to Turi Beach Resort at Nongsa, Batam. Harris is a very fun resort that feels rather budget whereas Turi Beach is a more quiet and classy resort with a great view of the sea. We joked it's a cheaper version of Sentosa Resorts. For $200/pax that includes ferry tickets, taxes, accomodation, lunch, breakfast and 3-hr spa (massage + body scrub + milk bath), it's quite value-for-$$.

Hotel Lobby / View from lobby

Each chalet housed 1 - 2 rooms with balcony overlooking the sea




there were 2 swimming pools


view of the resort from the bridge

After the spa treatment, we strolled along the beach then lazed in the room till evening. With a candle-light dinner by the poolside and live music, it's a very romantic way to end the day. We could have made the trip even more romantic by watching the sunrise together the next day but he was deep in dreamland and I was just too lazy to walk to the beach, so I just made do with 1 - 2 shots taken from our balcony which didn't turn out well. Turi Beach is a nice place, perfect for a quiet getaway and for those who like sea-sports.

That's my 31st birthday celebration. Simple but meaningful with family & friends.

No comments: