Sunday, January 22, 2006

Residence U reunion

I had a little reunion with my 2 neighbours from Residence U recently. That's the apartment I stayed at during my studies in Japan.

We went to a Japanese "居酒屋" (pronounced as "i-za-ka-ya"). It is at this building near Cuppage Centre. It feels as if I'm back in Japan because the ambience in the restaurant is so Japanese!! The menu is in Japanese, no translations. And there were many Japanese diners. The best is the food!

The 3 of us ordered the following:
- grilled bacon with asparagus stick
- grilled pork belly stick
- grilled cuttlefish with butter
- fried tofu with butter
- yakisoba (Japanese fried noobles)
- salad
- salmon sashimi
- fried chicken pieces
- 3 beers (Asahi)

Every dish was おいしい!! Total bill was about $90 (incl. beer which cost $7.50/pax). It's a little pricey, but worth it! o(^-^)o I've been thinking of the bacon with asparagus since that meal. *drool* I'll probably try cooking it one of these days. And I'll definately go back to that restaurant. It's been a long time since i've had authentic Japanese cuisine at a affordable price.

We were there from 8 - 10.30pm, after which we walked down to Cineleisure for supper. We had ice-cream in mind, but ended up with chocolate fondue at this "M Bistro". PIGS!!! The fondue was a disappointment. Too thick and sticky. The fruits to dip in were canned fruits (pear, peach, pineapple). As the fruits were soaked in syrup, it was difficult for any bit of chocolate to stay on it. My friend ended up using a teaspoon to pour chocolate over the fruits & eat it fast before the chocolate "slipped off" the fruit. The strawberry served was sour. The only delicious items were the mashmallow & banana. At $25 for 3 pax portion, not worth it. Anyway it started a chocolate fondue craze for me.

The next day I went shopping with my sis and bought 1 kg of chocolate buttons (meant for fondues). We did our own "home-made" fondue. We used those tripod stands meant for steaming things, put a tea-light below and put a metal bowl on the stand. Yummy!! Doesn't look very "classy" but it still tastes good!

I love pigging out with my jie-meis! I can diet for a whole week just for that one evening of pigging out ;p We're planning our next Res U reunion after Chinese New Year. Coz we need time to save $$ & lose weight first! hehehehe

No comments: