Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My 2nd solo trip to Japan (Part 1)

Having enjoyed myself so much on a solo trip to Hokkaido in 2004, I told myself I must do it again. As I only have the summer holidays to go, I chose the Tohoku region which is the north-east part of Japan, thinking that it'll be cooler than the rest of Japan. However due to time & financial constraint, I could only afford 4 days there, covering Sendai, Morioka, Aomori and Hachinohe. I squeezed in bits of Tokyo, Yokohama & Fukuoka as well. Here are my thoughts on the places I went to, the things I saw, the food I ate.... Photos are available on my "Photo Gallery -- Japan Travels 2007" (left column of blog)

2 Aug (Thurs)
Had an unpleasant flight to Bangkok from Singapore. There was a disgusting guy who rested his smelly feet at the chair in front & often strayed into my space. There was a lack of blankets onboard the plane and I had to freeze for 2 hrs. The flight attendants were all unpleasant with a sulky look.

The flight from Bangkok to Tokyo Narita was better probably it's a further international flight. One amusing incident I encountered was that of a lady in her 50s (I think) trying to use the toilet. She probably didn't understand English and didn't know how to open the door so I helped her. (Push open) From inside the cubicle she started pushing the door to get out, whereas the correct way's to pull open. Poor lady was trapped in it for a while before I realised she's stuck inside & helped her open the door.

3 Aug (Fri)
Arrived in Tokyo Narita airport in the early morning. Spent some time settling baggage delivery, phone rental and train reservations at the airport before going to the hostel. With a brief map by the hostel & wrong exit from the train station, I was lost for a while before finding it. Walked around the area & stumbled onto the famous Sensoji Temple. What excited me most about the place wasn't the temple but a shop along the path. They sold Ah Ke look-alike dolls!! Quite tempted to buy 1 or 2 back but think Ah Ke might feel threatened. And I can't imagine having to take care of another Ah Ke.


After that I went to the Singapore Embassy at Roppongi to apply for a document to be submitted when I register my marriage in Japan. Armed with only the address, I first had to figure out how to get to Roppongi coz I had no subway map. When I reached there I was totally lost. With a map & directions by the train station attendant, I went in seach of the embassy. Walked for the longest time & just when I thought I'm lost, I found the place. Settled everything & went to Shibuya and Ueno before heading back to hostel. Skipped lunch and had soba in hot soup for dinner. I was exhausted and slept early but kept waking up in the middle of the night.

Tokyo's too crowded with people. I don't exactly like it. And I didn't have the time to explore the outskirts of it. Probably next visit...

No comments: