Sunday, February 20, 2005
Expo Job training ~ Product Knowledge
My ex-neighbour in Japan will be working at the Expo as well. Very happy that I’ve 2 good friends working with me at the Expo even tho all 3 of us are doing different stuff. Think it’s gona be difficult for me to kick my drinking addiction when 3 of us are together. Miss those days when my ex-neighbour and I would drink at my place & munch on snacks…. Hmm… just read her blog… seems like she’s a little confused over her decision to work at the Expo.
Actually I feel the same too. Duno whether I’ve made the correct decision too. Felt a little down yesterday…felt my enthusiasm for the Expo job is gone for now. Been attending the “Product Knowledge” training for past 3 days (for the Expo job). The course is all about Singapore’s history, famous sites, culture, festivals, places of interest etc. I had a hard time surviving the course. One reason was I was sick & lacked adequate rest, so couldn’t concentrate during the lectures. The course was held over 2 consecutive days from 645-945pm after work, so I was really quite “demoralized” by it. The thot of not being able to go home early to rest after work but go attend some training which I’ve no interest at all….sianz..
The other reason was I’m not interested in anything Singapore! No doubt I learnt many interesting info on S’pore which I previously know nothing about, but on the whole, I’m just not interested to know more about my own country. Sad case huh?I’ve been thinking about this job… what have I gotten myself into? This is like a repetition of my problem with my previous job. I took up the offer at Tempstaff because I wanted to be in a Japanese-speaking environment, despite the fact that I’m not keen in sales. Recruitment consultant is like doing sales, except the “product” is always different & we’ve no control over the product & buyer. I quit the job after 4 days & immediately jumped into another chance to work in Jap environment, only difference being it’s really in Japan. I was very excited initially.
The job scope was “Pavilion guide”. So I thot it’s like customer service, guide the visitors if they are lost or need help or something. It’s only now that I fully realize the job requirements, that I’m supposed to “sell Singapore” to the visitors. I can’t back out of this “sales job” now. Bonded contract. I’m not feeling miserable about this job yet, and hope won’t ever do so! The plus points now are the fact that I’d be working in my fav country (Japan) & I get to meet people from all over the world, be part of such a big event, gain some overseas working exposure. It’s an experience of a lifetime! *think positive! think positive!*
Yesterday’s full day training included a half-day tour to the 2 main ethnic areas of Singapore – Little India, Kampong Glam & Chinatown. Quite interesting but tiring. While the guide was explaining to us, there was this guy in working attire taking photos of us. We thot he’s the guide’s friend. When we were about to move off, the guy suddenly stopped us, saying “Good afternoon everyone. Welcome to Singapore! Happy new year to you. Enjoy your stay here.” We were stunned at first, then burst out laughing, telling him that we are Singaporeans. He was a little surprised, then one of the gals told him we are Singaporeans but have been living in China for 20 years & just came back recently. He was quite confused, and initially took it for real coz another gal chipped in to back up the earlier claim of coming from China. I’m not sure what happened after that coz I had walked off by then. But we sure had a good laugh over it. However we did wonder why he took photos of us & approached us like dat. Maybe he’s trying to sell things to us?
Anyway the training ended at almost 5 & i quickly went home. Needed to rest after a full day out. But still went out to my sis's bf's cafe to check out the place. By the time i was home at 10+, i was totally exhausted... and the thot of training the next day after work... SIANZ....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment