Damned....I'm 12 months away from hitting 30! Although I've just turned 29, I don't feel old. I'm still young at heart. Not sure if I'm considered matured since everyone has their own definition of maturity. In terms of looks, thanks to my small build, I can shave a few years off my actual age. In short, 29 is just a number that doesn't reflect the true state of our mentality & physical self!
Some people think when you reach a certain age, you are supposed to have accomplished something, or follow the norms of people in that age group, e.g. hold a certain position in a company, earn certain amount of $$, be attached or married etc.
I look around and realize all my friends have a stable job with good income. I'm the only one still bumming around. I could've stayed on in my HR job and be some executive in some company now but I chose to go into a 1-yr teaching contract that lasted 2 yrs. Crazy move, some would say. But I never regretted it even though it means a step back in my career path. My parents must have been disappointed. But who cares? That's my decision & my life.
Does hitting late 20s mean having to get married, have kids & be a good housewife? I used to have the thinking that I want to get married by 25, have 2 kids by 30 and live a simple life holding a stable job or be a full-time housewife. Now I wonder why on earth I had that thought. It isn't exactly bad to settle down early but I think I'm such a dreamer with many crazy plans in mind, that I'll feel like a bird with clipped wings at that age.
I went to see a doctor recently regarding family planning. His immed reaction was "29 already still don't want babies?" Idiot! Aren't there many over-aged mothers out there surviving well? Ok, from a medical point of view it isn't good. But I'd rather wait till I'm ready than just try to hit the age deadline. For those wondering, ya, I don't want to be a mother yet. I think I'm not ready although I thought I was 1 year ago. Things change. People change. Now I realize I'm not really mentally prepared for motherhood yet.
In a flash, 29 years have passed. I wonder what I've done since graduation at age 22. Work 2 years, study overseas 1 year, work 4 yrs. So what's next?
I think it's going to be a year in limbo for me. No job, shuttling between Singapore & Japan, trying to adapt to life overseas + reducing the attachment to S'pore in order to reduce homesickness. Making new friends overseas + trying to keep friendship alive in S'pore. Learning Japanese + maintaining my command of English, Chinese & Singlish. Sounds easy or a challenge? I really don't know.
I think my life has been pretty interesting from early 20s onwards. And it's going to be even more interesting in future. Be prepared to read more posts of complaints, crazy thoughts, short updates or no posts at all if I'm overwhelmed with changes in life or simply too lazy! haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment