Sunday, November 09, 2008

The week after holidays

Last Sunday i was unpacking my luggage & looking through my photos after a tiring but fun trip to Taipei & Hong Kong. Today I am rotting in my room as usual, waiting for a hot date tonight. Haha!

This has been a crazy week where I went in search of food in Singapore that resembles those in Taipei/HK. I miss the lean meat Taiwan sausage with black pepper, the roti prata, the sweet potato fries, the Q Q desserts and bubble tea.

Food seems so expensive in Singapore this week after days of cheap but tasty eats in Taipei. Even a hawker centre meal can add up to $5. Food court prices also climbing up. A plate of 3 little siew mai costs S$4 in a food court! I might as well go to a proper dimsum restaurant for that price.

I bought 1 bubble tea at Bugis on Monday. So disappointed that it's filled with ice and 1 miserable scoop of pearls. In Taipei they put tea powder, milk powder, sugar (u can decide on sweetness), 3 scoops of pearls and a scoop of ice into a shaker & used a machine to shake (mix) the drink. In S'pore? All ready mixed. U can't control the sweetness, the milk tea is probably overnight, the cup used is small and you need to pay extra for more pearls. And it's almost same price as in Taipei.

My disappointment with the peanut butter + condensed milk toast in HK caused me to go in search of better ones in S'pore. I went to TongShui at LiangSeah (near Bugis) and was utterly disappointed as well. The bread was crispy on outside & soft inside, but they were so miserable with the peanut butter sauce that half of it was eaten without the spread. It was so unlike the one I tried at their Zion Rd branch where I used the bread to soak up the spread that had overflowed. Not giving up, yesterday i tried it at XinWang Cafe. More peanut butter but the bread was dry & ordinary. Haiz...still not up to my standard but better than the one I tried in HK! The only item I'm satisfied with both cafes is the HK milk tea. It's nicer than teh due to the stronger taste of tea.

Rest of my week has been spent blogging about my trip, psychoing my brother to go Taipei for holiday, watching a dumb movie (Tropic thunder), sleeping, watching TV online. Yes, I'm back to my days of watching TV online, except instead of watching Korean/Jap/HK dramas, I'm catching up on Desperate Housewives! I missed half of season 3 so have been watching it online. Mediacorp is showing season 4 on monday nights. And US is airing season 5 now. Yeah! I've enough episodes to keep me company at home now.

Yesterday I went to Taka to find my sis (who's giving out free kopi) and also kaypoh on the contestants at the Subaru challenge. For those who duno, this contest requires contestants to place their hand on a car without moving. The winner is the one who can place it for the longest time. The prize? A Subaru car worth S$80,000. Is it worth to torture yourself physically & mentally for up to 4 consecutive days for a car? Maybe if I'm bored tomorrow I'll go kaypoh on the survivors. Heard half of the 200 contestants dropped out after a heavy downpour yesterday. Duno how many will be left tomorrow.

Time for a short nap now. Later probably go to the temple to thank the gods/deities for answering my prayers. I received 2 letters of good news upon my return from holiday. Maybe my fortune is changing for the better after all the praying. Must go temple more often from now!

No comments: