Thursday, January 08, 2009

Threats

Today's the 1st lesson with 1 of my sec one class. I went in smiling & tried to be friendly. However half-way through I lost my patience with a trouble-maker who couldn't sit still during lesson and later refused to stand up to do a presentation. I gave up & skipped the rest of the class presentation. I told them to write an essay.

Instead of the topic, he wrote about how much he hated me and threatened to slap me if I 'tu lan' (anger) him again. It's a good thing I read the essay during my break coz I bet he was waiting to see my expression on reading it in class. I think after 2 days of nonsense at school, I've become immuned to them. I wasn't angry or upset about why he wrote that, I just circled the title & commented that the topic and content's wrong and he should re-write. And I told him that in the 2nd class with a normal talking tone. (2 lessons for same class tdy) He didn't bother to re-write and I couldn't be bothered with him. He walked around the class almost throughout the lesson again. After a few polite but stern requests to get him back to his seat failed, I treated him as invisible. That made life better for me & the rest of the class too.

I didn't report this to the discipline master. I want to give him a 2nd chance. But if he tries to threaten me again, he can sure I will report not only to the discipline master, but to the police as well.

I finally understand why school teachers always have that 'no-nonsense' look on their face, why they seldom smile and why they are always condemning certain groups of students. With the monsters they have to deal with, it's no surprise that they are turning into witches themselves.

No comments: