Thursday, October 02, 2008

What can we eat?

The melamine milk scandal has caused much panic among everyone, including my family. Every other day, we find our favorite snacks join the growing list of melamine-tainted products. This can be quite depressing, especially during PMS where we crave for Chicken in a Biscuit, Lotte's Koala Choco biscuit, Snickers etc.

This morning my mum asked me whether she can dump the Lotte's custard puff biscuits I bought from Japan. I didn't dump it, hoping future tests will confirm it's safe. When I drink my favorite teh outside, I wonder if the condensed milk they use is tainted. When I eat biscuits & bread, I wonder where the milk is from. Haiz....how to eat in peace?

Recently there were reports of a cover-up of the melamine issue. I can understand the unscrupulous dealers who diluted the milk and added melamine to earn more $$. I believe their education is limited to how to earn more $$. However I don't get it why the China authorities didn't learn their lesson from the SARS episode. Admitting there's a problem and resolving it is a smarter move than covering it up, especially when it can become a global issue. Unfortunately China didn't think so that way.

Is moral education non-existent in this country? Did the need to impress the world during the Olympics caused them to be short-sighted?

No doubt they did a great job at the Olympics. An impressive event which no one will not forget easily.....until the milk scandal. China has successfully generated great publicity for herself, greater than what the Olympics did for her.

Now while we wait for China to figure out what went wrong & keep track of tainted products, we probably have to avoid all China food products for the time being. I don't trust them anymore.

No comments: