Monday, May 09, 2005

We are not full-time drivers!

Just in case you aren't aware of this... i'm one of the 2 drivers for the guides. I was stupid enough to apply for an international driving license when my manager requested me to do so. There're only 2 persons with this license among the guides, so we were arrowed to be the team leader cum driver. Damn the manager! We aren't paid extra yet we hold additional portfolio! Extra responsibilities = extra stress.

Today one of my team members requested that I fetch her home at night in case she can’t catch the last bus tomorrow coz she's going out. I turned her down immediately. Felt bad to be doing that, coz that means she would have to walk at least 40mins home from the train station. I’m actually ok with fetching her home, but if I agree to that, this would make me & Team B’s leader their personal drivers. Before long everyone would be expecting us to fetch them home late at night. So I had to ensure this doesn’t happen.

Some members are already taking us for granted, fetching them around. We often feel obliged to agree to their requests coz where we stay is quite inaccessible, but I guess there should be a limit to everything. We didn’t come here as full-time drivers. As if our own guiding job isn’t tiring enough, we now have an additional burden of driving. We’ve been pressing our manager to settle this driver issue but nothing’s been done yet. Probably one day we’d both go on strike then he’d do something…

No comments: