When I was young, I wanted to become a doctor. But I was hopeless in Science subjects, so I changed ambition. I wanted to become a teacher. But my primary school & JC teachers advised me to seriously reconsider it. Then, Arts grads weren't in demand & my parents weren't supportive. Entering Business School was a wiser choice, they claimed. So I studied Business Administration, enjoying only the management modules. I developed an interest in Human Resources, because it gave me the opportunity to be of service to people on a more personal level. It gave me the opportunity to move into Training & Development, which to me, is like teaching as well.
My first HR job lasted 1 yr 8 mths. That's my best HR job ever, minus the stress, long working hours & fact that it's a 1-yr contract. I handled the full spectrum of HR then. I was providing admin/HR assistance to all employees. It was a dream job come true ~ serving employees on a more personal level.
But after my studies in Japan, I can't seem to find a similar dream job. My first was a 2-months temp HR position. For that, I can't expect much since it's just temp. My current job is a 1-yr contract. I thot it'd be similar to my dream job. It ended up to be so boring that I wonder if I can last for even 3 months! I'm no different from an admin clerk ~ typing letters & filing everyday.
However when I start searching for greener pastures, I realise I'm quite sick & tired of HR. Or sick of the corporate world. It's such a meaningless job. I'm doing it just because it's my job ~ no passion in it.
I've been toying with the idea of teaching. I guess it's influenced by my wish to work in Japan. With a boring HR job and strong desire to work in Japan, teaching seems like the best job now. I've checked out the courses available for teaching English. The fees are a little steep, and there is no guarantee that armed with a teaching cert, I can find a teaching job in Japan because I'm not a native-speaker (read: Ang moh).
Should I or should I not go for it? If I don't end up teaching, it doesn't hurt to earn an extra academic qualification, right? I've the time to spare too! But it's the money.....
2 comments:
That's what you can call "Professional Burnout", my dear... :)
btw, Princess - I thought you might enjoy reading this lengthy - but relevant in a way - blog of a modern Singaporean woman's thoughts: http://sternstadt.blogspot.com/2005/10/for-ladies.html
Esp the last one.. heheheh ;)
Post a Comment