I've started to read a lot lately. From almost every other article in the newspapers to articles online and books borrowed from the library. My recent book was "Karma and Other Stories" by Rishi Reddi. It's a collection of short stories, mostly about Indians living in America coping with the different culture while preserving their own. A clash of values & way of life. It also gave an interesting insight on the Indian traditions, beliefs and culture.
Many of the stories remind me of my own attempt to hold on to the Singaporean culture while trying to adapt to the Japanese culture. The difference in thinking & the way of doing things. The expectations & the environment. What a challenge! I've always thought of myself as someone who can adapt easily to changes. How wrong was I! Anyway, more about my karma & other stories in future. Go read Reddi's book first :)
No comments:
Post a Comment