Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Visit to SPCA

Last Sunday, my friend & I went to The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA). When I told my dad where I was planning to go, his reply was "去看那些动物很可怜的!都是猫猫狗狗。" My sister also agreed and told me to go and see some pet hotels or pet shops instead. But my mind was set.

I reached SPCA after a short 15mins drive from my home. I was expecting sad abused dogs in there. I was wrong. The dogs were big, healthy & active! Most were as tall as an adult when they jumped up. It's a small place with around 10-15 dogs in their individual big cage. I overheard a SPCA volunteer saying there are many other dogs caged up elsewhere. The cages were unlocked and apparently visitors are allowed to enter it to play with the dogs. I saw some young kids playing with the dog in the cage. Maybe they had permission from the volunteers to do so.


Will you adopt me & treat me well?

There is an area for cats & rabbits too. Almost all the rabbits were pending approval for adoption. Most were local breed except for 1 holland lop rabbit. All big rabbits but very adorable. Their ex-owners probably don't find them cute after they grew bigger & dumped them. Hardly anyone looked at the cats. My friend remarked, "if you want to adopt a cat, just go to the carpark or along the streets to pick up a stray cat". Poor cats!

I'm in a rabbit craze after seeing many of them at pet shops. There's one at Bugis's Pet Shop Lovers which I visit whenever I'm there. I even named it 大黄 coz it's a big brown rabbit. I think because it isn't as cute as the smaller rabbits, it's unsold for more than 3 months. It's probably still there waiting for a kind owner. I wish I could give it a proper loving home......


Please give me a good loving home!

I can't adopt a pet coz my mum doesn't like pets but I will visit SPCA again to visit the animals. These abandoned pets are really quite pitiful. 1 of the dog was given up because the maid caring for it left. I just don't understand these pet owners who get their maid to care for the dogs. I know many of these owners have to work and need help to care for the dogs. But surely they can spare some time in the morning/evening to walk the dog. I often see maids in my area doing that instead. I'm not surprised these maids have to clear the shit & bathe the dogs too. I feel if you want a pet you should take up the responsibility of caring for it. If you aren't willing to sacrifice some rest time or get your hands dirty, then don't get a pet!

No comments: