Thursday, October 06, 2005

Trip to Kumamoto / Mt Aso

Day 5 – 2 Oct Sunday

Yeah! It’s holiday time!! We set off at around 7.30am after breakfast. During the ride I tried to initiate some small talk. Asked about his education & work because everyone has been asking me that & I really don’t know anything! At least now i know a bit...

We reached Kumamoto at around 10. We went to Mt Aso to take pictures & walk around the volcano crater. I balanced my camera on tripod on a ladder for a shot & the whole thing fell off, blown by the strong winds. My camera survived, but the tripod is a goner.



Hungry, we went in search of food with no specific preference in mind. Along the way we drove up to some scenic points. That hungry Teru kept talking about eating the cows grazing there. We passed by a sign saying something like “charcoal”. So we went there. The restaurant specializes in BBQ chicken that’s grilled over real charcoal. And the chicken is unlike the usual chicken we eat. The meat was so crunchy, I wondered if I was really eating chicken. Apparently the chickens are free to roam around the fields, so their meat/muscle is “well-toned”. Think it’s like kampong chicken in S’pore, except that S’pore chickens dun really have any kampongs to run around yet call themselves kampong chickens.

There’s a famous tunnel in the area. Nice & cooling with many nice lanterns along the path. After that we went to a spot famous for its water. We bought an empty bottle, paid an entrance fee then went to scoop water from the pond there. The water was crystal clear and many people were filling up their bottles. Done with our water mission, we went to play at the stream. The water was so icy cold that we got out of it within minutes coz it seemed as if our feet was gona be frozen by it. But it’s fun! Went on to play for a while more, walking on the stones in the stream till our feet nearly froze again.

It’s teatime! Ate tofu ice-cream which tastes more like milk ice-cream. Very delicious *drool* The shop served us tofu for free coz they want to promote the soya sauce that goes with it. Eat ice-cream get tofu free! Hehehe

Our accommodation for the night was located in a secluded mountainous area with a wonderful view of the little town down the mountains. Our room was a Jap-style tatami room. After a short rest we went to pamper ourselves at a hot-spring then went back for dinner. We drink a bit during & after meal. At night we watched “Tomb Raider” (dubbed in Japanese) then went to sleep. I didn’t sleep well coz I felt very warm. I guess the hot-spring and alcohol were the culprits.

Oh, btw, if u're wondering, we weren't naughty...

1 comment:

May Leen said...

Wah Kaoz! Your mango jeans still can fit in mah??