Went for 2 interviews with job agencies today. I’m getting quite sick of these interviews tho it’s an opportunity for me to practice Jap conversational skills ;p Most tell me the same thing ~ “it’s year end, not much hiring now.” “limited positions in HR that requires Jap speaking skills, unless at managerial level”
The first interview today was relaxing & we discussed the job market.It seems that Jap-speaking positions here are generally categorized into 4 groups: technical skills (IT/Engineering), secretarial & admin, translation, and sales. I’m not into sales, and don’t have the technical skills. So that leaves me with admin & translation, of which I’m not that keen on translation coz it doesn’t give me the opportunity to speak the language. I’m not sure if I would enjoy working as a secretary to some mgr / MD, or admin clerk supporting the sales team. My previous job had some element of secretarial/admin work in it, but what kept me there was the opportunity to interact with almost everyone in the company, and doing something related to my HR studies.
I’ve to make a choice between a Jap-speaking job & a HR job. And it doesn’t help that I am still waiting for the outcome of my application for the ALT position. All these are driving me crazy ~ how do I proceed from here?I toyed around with the idea of WWOOFing ~ it’s what I had thought of doing when I was back in Japan then. It’s like a home-stay programme, with an added clause of work in exchange for food & lodging. A very interesting concept that gives me the opportunity to learn some new skills, experience the Jap culture and speak Japanese.
I briefly mentioned it to dad & bro. At first they seemed rather excited & supportive, thinking that it’s some internship in a Jap company in Japan. But once I told them it’s probably farm work or restaurant....could see that they aren’t that supportive, but didn’t raise any objections tho....It’s a crazy idea ~ abandoning the relatively luxurious lifestyle I have here for a harsher environment in a foreign land, working on farms or in restaurants / pension houses. But it’s only for a short period of time (less than 3 mths), and I believe strongly that no matter how it turns out to be, it’d serve to be a very good experience for me.
If I really decide to go for this, I’d prob take up a contract position that lasts till April, then go WWOOFing in May for a month or 2. If I get the ALT position, I’ve to go to Japan in July. If not, I’d probably stop bumming around and settle down to a boring perm job. Or I might just continue with my idea of working a few months, then go travel / wwoofing (if my initial stint turns out well).Sigh....what should I do? :(
No comments:
Post a Comment